I know it’s really hard to find a vintage wedding dress. Mainly because, I really really enjoy searching eBay and Etsy for vintage anything and I know what a daunting task it can be. However, every time I come across an awesome vintage wedding dress, I save the link in hopes of one day might needing it (wink, wink!) Given that it’s the Holiday season and the time for sharing, I thought I’d share some of my awesome vintage Etsy finds with you because like I said, it can be extremely hard to find the dress–especially if said dress is vintage.
(Top Left & Clockwise: Vintage Irish Crochet Lace Dress, 1960′s Wedding Dress, Vintage Wedding Dress, Vintage Crochet Dress, Vintage 1960′s Lace Dolly Dress, 1970′s Buttermilk Lace Dress,
Here are some tips for finding your own vintage wedding dress online:
1. Search by era, decade, or century. The more specific you are, the better your chances of finding just the dress you’re looking for. If you’re not familiar with styles, fabrics, or silhouettes that were popular during a certain era, refer to your favorite period pieces, books, or even old issues of Vogue. Looking for a certain designer? Search it!
2. Communicate with your seller. Remember, sellers want you to buy their dresses just as much as you want to buy their dress. This usually means sellers are more than willing to communicate with you about their product. Don’t be shy about asking even the most specific of details. Ask for more pictures and exact measurements (if not already given.) If you’re lucky to be close enough to your seller, even consider asking to see and try on the dress in person. After all, this is one of the most important dress purchases you’ll make in your lifetime.
3. Find yourself a good seamstress. Remember, this is vintage. So that means the dress was more than likely made to perfectly fit another woman so chances are you’ll need to make some alterations. You can even find a seamstress that specializes in vintage apparel.
4. Don’t be shy to take your search beyond the internet. There are so many vintage shops around that I just know that for every woman in the world, there is the perfect vintage wedding dress waiting for her. Traveling to Europe for the summer? Make sure to check out their vintage shops as well. All European countries have been around for decades so you know what that means–a larger selection of vintage dresses! Oh yes, and don’t forget thrift stores and second hand stores!
4. Don’t give up! Keep searching. You won’t find what you’re looking for right away, trust me! Make sure to search anything that interests you and make sure tell your girlfriends to save anything they might find along the way!